What makes a good portal design? Providing a personalized access to online content
If you are an internet savvy, you must have encountered the two most interchangeably used words – web portal and website. Both serve the same function of providing an access to users to an array of services. How are they different?
A web portal is a website that acts as a gateway to an array of services. It is obvious that all sites do this to a certain degree but a portal has a wide range of resources including search facility, directory of other sites, news, e-mail and lot more, i.e. Yahoo, Rediff.com. On the other hand a website is a collection of related web pages containing images, text, videos or other digital assets.
Portal Design India is a vast enterprise which aims at providing the users an easy access to a wide range of services from a single login. It is integrated with various interactive platforms to engage users. It provides a consistent look and feel with access control and procedures for multiple applications and databases, which otherwise would have been different entities altogether. Numerous portal design services are being offered today at lowest prices. You can get your portal ready on any of the subject. For example, there are education portals, business & e-commerce portals, real estate portals, automobile portals etc. Portals offer a more structured navigation interface for the users.
Web pages are not completely self-referential anymore. You need to search through different web pages over the search engines to collect the information. The idea of a portal is to collect information from different sources and create a single point of access to information – an array of categorized and personalized content. It is very much the idea of a personalized filter into the web. The key features of a portal are:
- Enables universal login
- Handles both structured and unstructured data inclusive of text, audio and video)
- Facilitates multi-channel consistency for the users
- Facilitates messaging and notification as well as the user feedback through medium like RSS
- Automated tuning: pervasive content can be tuned based on personalization, location, browser, etc.
- Integration to other systems like social media, other related websites
- Content management system
- It provides personalized information to the users customized to their needs. This personalization could be in terms of data, layout, navigation, etc.
With more and more inclination of the users towards internet it has become a tough competition for various portal designs India to bring out more user friendly interface. They are working to make more flexible content flow over these portals to provide a one click access to multiple sources of information.